The ECIC/Cape Chamber of Commerce Western Cape Exporter of the Year competition, now in its 25th year, is to be celebrated with a gala event on the 5th November at the Kenilworth Racecourse. It will be sponsored by Export Credit Insurance Corporation.
There have been notable winners in the past, who have had spectacular success as exporters. One such success is Mark Shuttleworth’s company Thawte which won the Exporter of the Year in 1999. He sold Thawte to VeriSign in December of that year, earning R 3.5 billion (about US$ 575 million at the time).
The names of the 12 finalists in this year’s competition are:
- Akacia Medical, manufactures and exporters of medical equipment and services.
- Belmet Marine, manufacturers of steel structures and equipment, mainly for the oil and gas industry.
- Environ, exporters of skin care and beauty products
- Folio Online provides translation services for exporters and other businesses.
- Groot Constantia, wine exporters.
- Indigi Designs manufactures and designs furniture and interior products.
- Maverick Trading, manufacturers of concrete and polymer manhole and drain covers.
- Nautic Africa, manufacturers of fast patrol boats and launches to African countries and the oil industry.
- Rickard Air Diffusion manufactures “intelligent” diffusers for air conditioning systems.
- Shonaquip, manufactures specialist wheel chairs for the disabled
- Thokozani Winelands Investment, exports wine.
- VV4 Agri provides services to agriculture.
There are eight categories in the competition, each with its own trophy.
The main trophy is the Cape Chamber of Commerce Western Cape Exporter of the Year for excellence in exporting. Both small and large companies stand an equal chance of winning this prestigious award and R50 000 in cash. The second prize will be a R20 000 corporate identity makeover provided by Fable Design, an Auric Consulting Company. The third prize would be a year’s complimentary membership of the Chamber.
Other prizes are the Transnet National Ports Authority trophy for firms working outside the engineering sphere. Transnet Port Terminals sponsors the trophy for companies in the engineering and manufacturing sector.
Credit Guarantee sponsors the trophy for the best small business exporter while the Cape Chamber Innovation Trophy goes to the company that builds sustainable revenue through creativity. The Design Award goes to a company using local design as major component of its products while the Gerald Wolman Exporting to Africa Trophy goes to the company that best exports products and services to African countries.
Finally, there is a transformation trophy for the exporting company that has achieved the greatest transformation in terms of BBBEE criteria.