The City of Cape Town remains hopeful that the ongoing national transport strike will soon be resolved, as hundreds of thousands of commuters across the country have been substantially inconvenienced over the past three weeks. Read more below:
A national strike by two trade unions representing workers in the transport sector began on Friday 19 April 2013. In Cape Town, this initially only impacted passengers making use of Golden Arrow buses, but the City was later compelled to suspend all MyCiTi services due to threats of violence and intimidation against MyCiTi staff members and infrastructure.
“We deeply regret having to take the decision to suspend our services, but were left with no alternative. This had to be done in order to protect our staff members, passengers and our infrastructure,” said Councillor Brett Herron, Mayoral Committee Member for Transport, Roads and Stormwater.
“We urge all parties involved in the labour dispute to reach an agreement as soon as possible. Hundreds of thousands of commuters across the country are suffering because of the strike. It is important for buses to become operational as soon as possible. We have noted a substantial increase in traffic congestion on our roads, in some areas by as much as 30%. The bus strike has impacted on our residents ability to get to work safely and on time and on our learners getting to school. This is deeply regrettable.” he said.
The effect of the national transport strike was also felt during last week’s soccer match at the Cape Town Stadium, when no buses were available to assist with public transport for the event. Similarly, no buses are able to operate for this week’s Justin Bieber and Bon Jovi concerts at the Stadium.
“This strike has demonstrated how important safe public transport is for Cape Town, not just for our events but more importantly for our thousands of commuters who are solely reliant on public transport to move around Cape Town,” said Councillor Herron.
The City is cooperating with the South African Police Services (SAPS) in their investigation of various cases of intimidation, after threats of violence were made towards MyCiTi staff. The City takes these threats extremely seriously.
The City assures commuters that it is constantly monitoring the transport situation and pushing for the resolution of this strike as soon as possible, due to the impact it is having on our residents on a daily basis.
Issued by: Integrated Strategic Communication and Branding Department, City of Cape Town